That is the level of patience I have entered...subzero. Seriously. Ian, God love him, is testing me at every turn from going potty, to what he wears to who is going to press the button to open the garage door. Guess who? Yes, IAN is going to open the garage door and God forbid anyone do it for him.
Can you buy patience? Is it learned? Does it decrease with age? Where does it go? Is it something that you get NOT on those "special" days of the month? How does one become patient? I would love to know. I was once patient. I was. Really patient. Every job I had revolved around kids. Patient was my middle name. Not so much these days. I have no idea HOW to teach Ian to SHARE. It's the biggest issue these days and I feel I have tried everything under the sun, moon and stars. It's not working and he is just not getting it. Wait, maybe sharing is not the issue it's LISTENING...yeah, listening. Is it because he is only 3.5, or is he FULLY capable of listening and following directions? The trials and tribulations of being a mother....so wonderful and so difficult all at the same time. I just want to thank God for grapes and vineyards and to whomever discovered the ability to turn them into wine. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. And God, if you are listening...please send me some patience. Thank you!
“Patience can't be acquired overnight. It is just like building up a muscle. Every day you need to work on it.”
-Eknath Easwaran
Tuesday, January 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



4 comments:
Wine is KEY!! As far as the rest of the day goes......take it minute by minute!!
You know, it is just a balance..sometimes we are impatient because there are other "things" that need to be done..so what we have to decide is what is really important..me screaming at my kids or getting the laundry folded. Other times..just drink and pray for bed time!
I think we need to introduce Ian to Matt. I get in trouble if I dare open the garage myself!
Patience is definately one of those things that gets to me every time. My dr gave me the greatest advice on discipline. She said that kids don't understand discipline in the same way we do. They just want to do it their way, it doesn't make sense to them why we are making them do it OUR way. So changing your approach to making it their idea helps alot. We made a poster, one side was 3 things they weren't aloud to do. Hitting, talking back, touching the remote, getting out of bed, etc. Then on the other side, it said Time out for 5 minutes OR take away a toy for a day. When they did one of those forbidden things, we would point to the chart and say, you broke a rule. Which discipline do you want? At first, they would freak out and we would choose. But by the second day, they started choosing. Helped tremendously!!!!
Post a Comment