I am writing this to help my sanity. It's been a tough day at the Ludlam house and as the saying goes I am going to turn my lemons into lemonade. Well, sangria actually, for I do need some sanity. Ian is on winter break and that means no school. No school means home with me ALL day and, of course, witnessing my constant "attention" I have to give to Emery. He has not been on his best behavior, so I am going to write about the funny, intriguing and mind-boggling things he has said, well the ones I can remember, over the past month or so:
1. "I want my friends to come over, otherwise I want to go to the park."
What? Did you just say "otherwise"? First of all, where did you hear it and secondly, how did you know when and how to use the word?
2. "You can hear the bells, Mommy, if you listen closely."
In our neighborhood we have a bell tower that plays lovely music at certain hours. We can't SEE the tower, but we can HEAR it. We were outside one day and that is what came out of his grill while he cupped his ear and leaned in the direction of the tower. Again, how did you know to use an adverb? So many people would've said "close" not "closely". You know, how some people say "drive careful" instead of "drive carefully"? Amazing, I tell you.
3. "Those aren't the rules. It's not my responsibility"
We were talking about Christmas and I asked him if he would like to take all the gifts that Santa brings him and give them to kids that need them and are maybe less fortunate. The above statement is how he felt about that grandioso idea.
4. "What is daddy going to do with his car?"
Michael had a holiday lunch at his work. He works at MacDill Air Force Base so we had to meet outside of the gate so we can all get in one car and Michael can flash his badge to let us all in. We decided to meet at Starbucks. This is also the establishment where Ian thinks daddy works (another longer story). On the way, it's me, Ian and Emery in the car. I told Ian we were going to meet daddy and then go to his work for lunch. After much thought and contemplation, it didn't make sense to him and he asked a very good question. The above question. That takes a good sense of reasoning, I'd say. In his eyes, two people were driving and if one person gets in the other's car, then ONE car is going to be all by itself. A very concerned boy, he was.
He amazes me everyday. His vocabulary, his reasoning, the things he picks up, the actions he mimicks, his questions, his facial expressions, his hand motions...everything. As mad as I was today, I have to remember he will not be 3 years and 7 months for long and he will share, he will speak nicely, he will clean up after himself and he will listen. I also have to remember that I have a big role in those attributes. I love him so much and he will always be my bear.
There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children. One of these is roots, the other, wings.
--Hodding Carter--
Tuesday, December 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment