Tuesday, October 6, 2009

My favorite Uncle Brandon

This past weekend I spent time in North Carolina. My mom and I flew up on Thursday to be with her sister, my aunt Cheryl and my cousins. My Aunt Cheryl lost her husband, my favorite Uncle Brandon, to prostate cancer. They met each other in high school and were married for 43 years. My favorite story of how their story began was when Brandon would get to class, he would turn his desk to face Cheryl and wouldn't turn it around to face the teacher until Cheryl agreed to go out with him. Oh, the stories I heard! Such sweet, innocent love. I loved seeing all of his brothers and the extended family - such a huge and loving family. It was amazing. I had never been to a military funeral and was absolutely stunned. What a beautiful sight to see our servicemen honor their fellow comrade who had served in Vietnam as a green beret so many years ago. Taps on the trumpet, the American flag draped over the coffin, the gun salute, and the precision of which the men had when folding the flag before surrendering it to Cheryl, was so moving and left not a dry eye in all who witnessed it. I am so sad for his children and his wife and his family. He was so witty and so loving and I will miss him very much. What a great man of God, who never ceased to ask anyone with a beating heart, "do you know Jesus?". He loved "Jesus and groceries, and in that order". I love you Uncle Brandon..."you better get in here and getcha self some"!

No comments: